It’s the 4th of July in just a few days and I’m sure you’ve already started to think about the menu. Here are 4 healthy cookout recipes to try this year.
Did you know, on the 4th of July, Americans consume over 150 million hotdogs?
Why not ditch the hotdog and try a Veggie Dog, Turkey Hamburger, Pork Chops, or Grilled Mushrooms instead?
Healthy Cookout Recipe #1
California Hot Dog Recipe
We know avocado, sprouts and curry powder aren’t your typical hot dog toppings, but trust us, this is a delicious combo! For the best crunch, make sure your sprouts are fresh. If you like a little kick, use hot curry powder or add a pinch of cayenne.
INGREDIENTS: (per serving)
1 grilled veggie hot dog
1 whole-wheat hot dog bun, toasted if desired
2 tablespoons diced avocado
1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
1 tablespoon alfalfa sprouts
1/4 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
Place hot dog in bun; top with avocado, onion and sprouts and sprinkle with curry powder.
Ground turkey makes a great burger. It makes an even better one with feta cheese and kalamata olives. Serve these tasty treats with sun-ripened tomatoes and Greek-style pita.
1 pound ground turkey
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the grill for medium high heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, feta cheese, olives, oregano, and pepper. Mix together, and form into patties.
3. Lightly oil the grate. Place patties on the grill. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway through.
A combination of Indian and Asian ingredients, create this ‘fusion’.
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
4 (1-inch-thick) pork chops
1 tablespoon garam masala
1. In a bowl, stir together soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, and ginger.
2. Place pork chops in a glass dish. Pour soy sauce mixture over chops. Cover, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours, turning occasionally.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for direct heat and lightly oil grate.
4. Place chops on the grill. As they cook, sprinkle with garam masala. Cook about 10 minutes on each side.
These meaty, flavorful mushrooms are dressed up with olive oil, bits of red pepper, garlic, and onion powder, then grilled to perfection.
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 portobello mushroom caps
1. Preheat grill for medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, mix the red bell pepper, garlic, oil, onion powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Spread mixture over gill side of the mushroom caps.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place mushrooms over indirect heat, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
Share and Challenge your friends to try one new recipe this year!
Expert Coach Centeris a Virtual Wellness Coaching Certification Program, composed of a 6 course curriculum series in Coaching Foundations, Nutrition, Fitness, Stress Management, Relationships and Life Balance. Add a Skill Set to your resume and become a Certified Wellness Coach!
Enter your name and email and get the monthly newsletter... it's FREE!
Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party.